Doctors should prescribe the widely used group of Antibiotics of the fluoroquinolones due to serious side effects only very limited. The Federal Institute for drugs and medical devices (BfArM) said on Monday.
Actually, fluoroquinolones are among the so-called reserve antibiotics. That means that you should only be used if no other antibiotic is working. However, Doctors prescribe fluoroquinolones more often. According to the Scientific Institute of the AOK, which is almost six million packs of fluoroquinolone were prescribed in the year 2015 containing antibiotics. According to a study by the University of Bremen 50 percent of all women who go because of a harmless inflammation of the bladder, the doctor received a prescription for fluoroquinolone.
Patients report isolated cases of severe symptoms
The BfArM stressed now: The medication should not more at "light and medium-heavy Infektionen" be used, as well as "in the case of infections, which subside even without treatment, or are not serious, and in the case of non-bacterial Infektionen".
The reason is that fluoroquinolones can cause in very rare cases, severe side effects. Of patients in 2018, reported in a broadcast of "Star TV": They attributed symptoms such as muscle weakness, blurred vision, panic attacks and loss of Teeth on the intake of fluoroquinolones. "I’m sitting since then in the Rollstuhl", a Patient who had taken Levofloxacin said – one of five in Germany approved fluoroquinolones.
Experts warn of potential damage caused by fluoroquinolones
"Certain serious side effects of fluoroquinolones can stop, reduce the quality of life and may be irreversibel", the BfArM writes. Affected are mainly the Tendons, muscles, joints and the nervous system.
At the first sign of these serious side effects, the treatment should be terminated, advises the BfArM. Should prescribe a doctor, fluoroquinolones, ask for Alternatives and let you about all the risks of the drug educate.
Instruction leaflet explains the possible side effects of antibiotics
Side effects can call good as any drug. The manufacturer must inform about it in the instruction leaflet. A mystery, therefore, is not that fluoroquinolones can cause in a few cases, severe discomfort. According to the leaflet about " can;Cipro – 1 A Pharma 250mg" in the case of a of Thousands of patients, among other things, to the following impairments:
- Anxiety, Depression
- Tremors, Seizures, Dizziness
- Blurred vision
- Fast Heartbeat (Tachycardia)
- Abnormal Liver Function, Inflammation Of The Liver
- Muscle Pain, Cramps
- Kidney failure
But few patients read the package insert. On the strong side-effects, wear fluoro quinolones in the United States, therefore, in addition, a so-called "Black Box Warning". It is a black box on the packaging that warns of a particularly serious, potentially permanent side effects. It is in the United States, the strongest Form of the warning on the medications.
"Fluoroquinolones are an important Behandlungsoption"
The BfArM was clear: "Fluoroquinolones diseases are an important treatment option against different infections, including some life-threatening, for which other antibiotics are not sufficiently effective." If Doctors the Benefit-risk for each individual patient intensive weigh, fluoroquinolones are also prescribed.
1. Use antibiotics only under medical regulation.
2. A take antibiotics for a long time and in the dosage as your doctor intended. Do not stop treatment early, even if it is feeling better.
3. Ask your pharmacist what you should know when taking antibiotics, such as interactions with food.
4. Do not keep any remnants of antibiotics to take at the next infection.
5. Give you antibiotics, the doctor has prescribed for you, not other patients.
6. Dispose of antibiotics is not over the toilet or the sink, but with the household waste. So they can be burned without leaving any residue. The disposal of antibiotics in the wastewater widely used substances in the environment and thus promotes the emergence of drug resistance.
7. Avoid infections as much as possible. Often simple hygiene measures.
Source: Federal Union Of German Associations Of Pharmacists